View previous topic :: View next topic  
Azarot
Initiate
Noob

re: The Finer Points to Gemming Items

Here I will go into detail on the things you need to know about Gemming Items.

First off one must know that you must obtain an item that has gem slots and these are only available through the armor smiting, and weapon smiting professions. When looking at an item, it will have 2 things that you need to be aware of. First is that it will either have 1 or 3 gem slots total, as of now i do not believe any items in game differ from this. The second thing you must know is that the Items with 1 gem slot can ONLY be fitted with SIZE 5 GEMS, and the items with 3 gem slots can be fitted with EITHER SIZE 5 or SIZE 10 and a mixture of both is acceptable, more on this later.

Secondly you must know how gems work, I will not go into great detail about gems and what they cut into, there are spreadsheets online that cover all of the gems and what they can be cut into. When you are gathering gems you will notice that there are 2 types of quality for the same gem, for instance UNCUT STAR RUBY, and FLAWLESS STAR RUBY are both star rubies and can be cut to yield the same stats, in this case its weapon damage for 1 handed and 2 handed weapons. The difference between UNCUT and FLAWLESS is the final amounts the gems will yield in stats. For example a cut FLAWLESS gem may yield 8.9 1 handed damage, were an UNCUT would yield 7.2 1 handed damage. One more thing to remember about gems that are FLAWLESS and UNCUT is that FLAWLESS has a cut size of 10, and UNCUT has a cut size of 5. Due to game issues, armor that you have will list an improper Gem size acceptance, The items that allow only 1 gem to be socketed will say SIZE 1 , this means that a cut gem with a SIZE 5(UNCUT quality) will fit into a item with a SIZE 1, and an item with 3 gem slots will state SIZE 2, this allowed both SIZE 10(FLAWLESS) and SIZE 5(UNCUT) gems to be socketted.

To Socket an item with a gem, we first must establish that the ITEM LEVEL you want to SOCKET with gems is HIGHER or EQUAL to that of the GEM, Meaning an item with a level of 50 will be unable to accept a level 60 gem, while a level 60 item could accept a level 50 gem and 60 gem.

Secondly you must make sure that the size of your cut gem is acceptable to the piece of armor.

ARMOR SIZE 1 = GEM CUT SIZE 5
ARMOR SIZE 2 = GEM CUT SIZES 5 AND 10

When all things are acceptable have both the ITEM you are gemming, and your cut gem in your inventory bag, click and drag the GEM on top of the ITEM, While dragging the gem your ITEM should HIGHLIGHT GREEN, IF NOT something is WRONG. If it is GREEN than you will be able to let go of the GEM on TOP of the ITEM and you will begin SOCKETING the ITEM.

LASTLY, if you are gemming an item with 3 slots and you go to put the second gem in and when it completes it does not show anything on the piece of armor do not PANIC, SIMPLY RELOG and it will be fine, SAME ACTION to be taken for socketing the 3rd GEM.

AND as of now once you have an ITEM SOCKETED EQUIP it and the BONUS'S WILL apply to you, HOWEVER if you ZONE, SWITCH INSTANCES, OR LOG OFF WITH THE ITEM EQUIPED THE STATS WILL REVERT AND YOU WILL NOT BE GAINING THE BENIFIT. TO FIX THIS TAKE OFF THE ITEM AND RELOG, ZONE, CHANGE INSTANCES WITH IT OFF AND PUT IT BACK ON AFTER THE LOADING IS COMPLETE. THIS WILL FIX THE ITEM STATS AND YOU WILL RECIEVE THE BONUS'S AGAIN, this goes for all items you have socketed with gems.

If you have any Further questions be sure to shoot me a tell in game and ill be glad to help you out.

One Final Note Naters and I need Ruby and Star Ruby, mail to either of us

Veteran Poster

thanx FOR THE useful post ABOUT GEMS and armor.
Justhaze

I CANNOT CHANGE THE VOLUME OF MY TYPING!

thanks for the write up azarot

to follow-up, if anyone is wants to know about specific gems, their level, and what they can be cut into, i found these AoC forum posts to be helpful:

http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=28158
http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=92726

http://togaoc.pbwiki.com/Gemcutting+Chart
Balenger

gems are confusing. Thanks for taking the time to explain these things, especially the losing bonuses after loading screen.
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MASC Forum Index -> Archives All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: