View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crimson Death
Satsujinma
Warlord
Veteran Poster

re: Answers to Ruling Questions

Forced Movement

Certain powers and effects allow you to pull, push, or slide a target.

Pull:
When you pull a creature, each square you move it must bring it nearer to you.

Push:

When you push a creature, each square you move it must place it farther away from you.

Slide:
When you slide a creature, there’s no restriction on the direction you can move it.

The following rules govern all forced movement.

✦ Distance.
The power specifies how many squares you can move a target. You can choose to move the target fewer squares or not to move the target at all.

✦ Specific Destination.
Some powers instead specify a destination, such as any square adjacent to you.

✦ No Opportunity Attacks.
Forced movement does not provoke opportunity attacks.

✦ Difficult Terrain.
Forced movement isn’t hindered by difficult terrain.

✦ Not a Move.
Forced movement doesn’t count against a target’s ability to move on its turn.

✦ Valid Space.
Forced movement can’t move a target into
a space it couldn’t enter by walking.

Last edited by Satsujinma on 2009/11/15 0:22; edited 1 time in total

Veteran Poster

Magic Item Power uses per day

Power
Some magic items have a special power. This entry, when present in an item description, includes the action required to use the power and the effect of the power. In some cases, it might also indicate the specific conditions under which you can use the power (for instance, only if you’re bloodied). In general, magic item powers follow the same rules as other powers (in that they have ranges, shapes, and so forth). See “How to Read a Power,” page 54, for details. Like racial powers and class powers, magic item powers often have keywords that indicate their damage or effect types. When you use a magic item as part of a racial power or a class power, the keywords of the item’s power and the other power all apply. For instance, if a paladin uses a flaming sword to attack with a power that deals radiant damage, the power deals both fire damage and radiant damage.

Like other powers, magic item powers are sometimes at-will powers, sometimes encounter powers, and sometimes daily powers. Magic item powers have two other categories as well: Healing surge powers are usable every time you spend a healing surge, and consumable powers appear in one-use magic items.

At-Will:
These powers can be used as often as their action types allow.

Encounter:
These powers can be used once per encounter and are renewed when their user takes a short rest.

Daily:
A magic item’s daily power can be used once per day and is renewed when its user takes an extended rest. As with daily powers provided by your class, there is a limit to the number of magic item daily powers you can use on any given day. This limit depends on your level.

At 1st–10th level, you can use one magic item daily power per day.
At 11th–20th level, you can use two magic item daily powers per day.
At 21st–30th level, you can use three magic item daily powers per day.

Each use of a magic item daily power must come from a different magic item. At 11th level, for example, you can use the daily powers provided by two different magic items, but you can’t use two different daily powers from the same magic item. Your character sheet includes boxes to help you keep track of these uses.

Each time you reach a milestone (see page 259), you gain one additional use of a magic item daily power. This benefit can be used to activate any magic item daily power that you have not already used this day (even if you’ve already used a different daily power from that magic item).

After you take an extended rest, all of your magic item daily powers are renewed, and you start fresh with regard to the number of magic item daily powers you can use per day.

Healing Surge:
You begin with one use of the power per day, like a daily power. You can renew this item’s power by taking a standard action to funnel your vitality into the item, spending a healing surge in the process. Spending a healing surge in this way doesn’t restore hit points, and this standard action is separate from the action required to activate the item’s
power.

Consumable:
Some items, particularly potions and elixirs, contain one-use powers that are expended when you use them. Once per day, you can use a holy avenger to increase the defenses of you and your allies. This power renews when you take an extended rest.

Last edited by Satsujinma on 2009/11/15 0:24; edited 3 times in total

Veteran Poster

Save Ends Effects

I couldn't find an answer to our question about save ends effects once the encounter is over in the Players Hand book so I posted the question on the D&D boards.

http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19686342/Rules_Q38A_FAQ__ask_a_simple_question?num=10&pg=38

Answer

The Encounter isn't over until all the Save Ends effects are gone.

This *mostly* matters for Ongoing Damage, but it can also matter greatly for things like petrification.

What happens in our group, once the last monster goes down, is that everyone starts popping out Heal checks. You might technically have Ongoing 10 Save At -2 Ends, but with everyone dropping Heal on you, you're saving 4-5 times per round. So it usually doesn't last long.

Veteran Poster

http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/21836709/Spirited_Away:_A_Shaman_Handbook?pg=1

Shaman Spirit Companion FAQ:

Q; Where are the rules about conjurations?

A: Page 120 of the PHB2 has the SC companion rules. Page 219 and 220 in PHB2 have updated conjuration rules and they slightly expand on the rules in PHB1 page 59.

Q: What does the spirit keyword mean?

A: From Page 220 of PHB2: "You can use a spirit power only if your spirit companion is present in the encounter. If a spirit power includes “spirit” in its range, you determine line of sight and line of effect from your spirit companion’s space, which is the power’s origin square."

Q: Does my SC occupy a square? Who can move through it?

A: Yes it does occupy a square, unlike most conjurations. Your allies can move through it, but can not end their turn in the same square. You enemies can not move through it. See PHB2 p 120.

Q: Does my SC provoke OA?

A: No. The PHB2 FAQ says it does not provoke OA. The reasoning is that only creatures provoke OA and your SC is not a creature.

Q: When does my SC get to make an OA?

A: Technically your SC never makes an OA. He has an attack that functions as an opportunity action. He gets to make that attack only when an enemy moves away from it without shifting. Note that forced movement does not provoke opportunity actions or opportunity attacks according to page 285 of the PHB. The updated rules say teleportation also does not provoke. Ranged powers also do not provoke attacks from SCs.

Q: How fast does my SC move? Can it Shift? What happens when I am slowed? What about difficult terrain?

A: It moves up to your move speed when you take a move action. It can not shift, but for the most part that does not matter since it does not provoke OA. If you are slowed, you movement drops to 2 and therefore your SC can only move 2. Page 220 of PHB2 says conjurations are not effected by difficult terrain.

Q: Can my SC be pushed, pulled, slid, slowed, stunned, dazed, blinded, deafened, petrified, or take ongoing damage?

A; No. It can only be damaged and only you can move it according to the rules on page of PHB2. If it takes 10 + 1/2 your level in damage then it is dismissed and you take damage equal to 5 +1/2 your level

Q: Is my spirit an ally?

A: No. Conjurations are not allies, but some powers and feats may let it do things normally only allies can do like flank or provide cover.

Q: How many SCs can I have active at a time?

A: One, unless you have a specific power or ability that lets you summon a second one.

Q: Can I dismiss my SC and then bring it back the same round in some other location?

A: Yes. Normally that requires 2 minor actions unless you have one of the feats mentioned below that let you summon it as a free action.

Q: So what's the deal with the feats Sudden Call (PP) and Nimble Spirit (PHB2)?

A: The two feats are basically the same, but Sudden Call is available in heroic, while Nimble Spirit is only available at paragon. Both let you call your SC as a free action during your turn instead of as a minor action. See page 267 of the PHBs for a full explanation of free actions. And you can only summon your SC during your turn with or without these feats.

Q; Can my SC fly?

A: No, but it can float and does not need to be supported by a solid surface. But no rules say it can fly and customer service has been pretty consistent in saying it can't.

Q; How far away can my SC go?

A: At least one square of your SC must be within 20 squares of you. Normally your SC only occupies one square, but there are some shaman abilities that let you expand its size.

Q: Do I need line of sight or line of effect when using spirit powers?

A: Normally with conjurations you need line of sight to use a power, but with SCs it is different and you use your SC to determine line of sight. You determine also line of effect from your SC. See page 220 of PHB2

Q: Can my SC be damaged by area/close attacks or zones?

A: No. According to page 120 in PHB2 it can only be damaged by ranged or melee attacks. And you only have to worry about damage from one attack at a time.

Q: Can my SC flank?

A: Not normally. Some powers like stalker's strike let it flank, which implies that it normally can't flank.

Q: Can the spirit companion be flanked?

A: No. This is a bit of complicated reasoning, but to be flanked the target needs to be a creature as defined by the PHB 57. Your SC is not a creature and therefore can not be flanked.

Q: If I use healing spirit on two allies who are both next to my bear spirit companion, do both get the additional hp from my spirit boon or does only one get it?

A: Ask your DM. WOTC has not answered the question with a FAQ, but customer service says yes.

Q: Can my spirit companion make skill checks? Can it be stealthy or notice things with perception?

A: Ask your DM, but the rules are pretty silent on this from what I can tell. My first RAW answer is no since it does not have any ability scores and is not a creature. It uses your ability scores for determining the outcome of attacks, but it does not mention on page 59 of the PHB or 220 in the PHB2 that it uses your scores for skill checks. But for things like stealth and passive perception checks you can argue that RAI it is reasonable for it to make some checks using your skills since you can get line of site from it.

Q: Does it have to be a bear or can I make mine a giant otter?

A: Make it whatever animal you want.

Veteran Poster

I posted this on the D&D Q&A section.

Question:

Can I use a Move Action and Standard Action, use an Action Point for another Standard Action then use the Minor Action that I didnt use?

Answer:

Yes. Spending an Action Point gives you an additional standard action that you can take at any point during your turn. You can spend the AP at the start of your turn and spend your two standards, move, and minor in any order.

Veteran Poster

Question:

How much damage would you take if you were vunerable 5 to cold and fire and got hit with a power with the cold and fire keywords?

Would you take an extra 10 damage for being vunerable to both the cold and fire or just an extra 5 damage?

Answer:

You would take an extra 10 damage, assuming the power with cold and fire keywords dealt damage of the "cold and fire" type.

(If it dealt pure fire damage with a slowing effect, of course, they would only take the extra 5 fire damage.)

Veteran Poster

May 19, 2010 -- 1:28PM, Frostrazor wrote:

When a rogue scores a critcal hit, do they maximize their sneak attack damage?

I remember reading a very long time ago that they do, but my DM just read that they don't. We're just looking for a clarifcation.

Thanks

There is an FAQ on striker damage dice and critical hits. When a critical hit happens, the rogue will maximize all damage dice he could normally roll if it were not a critical hit. Weapon dice and sneak dice can be applied outside a critical so they are maximized. High-crit dice and magic enhancement dice are applied because it is a critical so they are not maximized.

Veteran Poster

Rogue First Strike Class Feature:

At the start of an encounter, you have combat advantage against any creatures that have not yet acted in that encounter.

Veteran Poster

Question:

Rogue was Grabbed (Restrained condition save ends). The Shaman uses a power that makes the monster grabbing the rogue grant everyone combat advantage. Does the rogue get combat advantage?

Our DM said you can't get combat advantage when you yourself grant combat advantage.

Answer:

Yes, the rogue does get combat advantage. You can get combat advantage even when you grant combat advantage; there is no rule against that. There are some conditions that prevent you from being able to flank with another person; which might be what your DM is thinking of.

Jump to: