View previous topic :: View next topic  
Soulstripper
Proven
Veteran Poster

re: My new computer and what ive learned.

Well for my birthday my parents decided to front me the little bit of money I still needed to build my computer and for the last 3 weeks ive been working on it. Heres a quick rundown of my experience so to maybe help those of you who are interested in building a comp urself.

Specs.
3.2ghz dual core amd w/ aftermarket heatsink.
4gigs pc2 800mhz ram
asus n2n-e motherboard
2 SLI 512mb 8600gt OC
DVd Reader&dvd RW
750W zephyr power supply
3 HD 1(500g 7200rpm) 1(30g 10,000rpm) 1(120g 5400rpm)<has my old files

What I learned. (insert jokes afterward about my lack of knowledge)
1 You cannot transfer windows to a different motherboard. If you swap motherboards you must install a new operating system. If you have a harddrive you plan on keeping its best IMO to save the files you want onto a CD then totally wipe the hard drive instead of trying to install a new OP system over the old one. This is where I had major problems. Apparently if you try and isntall new windows over the Old OS you will have problems b/c the files from the old and the new dont mix well. Also if you ahve more than one hard drive make sure you just have one hard drive plugged in for Booting the OS.
2 VISTA SUCKS. Im sorry this might be biased in many ways but it seemed like every problem i found and tried to fix vista was in my way. I couldnt access half of my old hard drive b/c i didnt have access privilages :o. I had to go in to every SINGLE file and change the access codes just to view the files. I also had driver problems (maybe something else entirely but) it stated that windows was not running and it can only install the drivers on windows.
3 Make sure you have all your old CD's. When I moved I threw away alot of CDs that were 2 years old and i thought id never use. I was wrong. Now im left with a year subscription to Norton Antivirus that I have to find a way to use .
4 No one carries operating systems. We drove around for 3 hours going to every store in town that we thought would have an OS. We found 1 store, circuit city, Vista for 200 and XP for 220. No thanks. So get it online b4 you take apart your old comp.

From my experiences the only advice I can give is Start From Scratch. Dont try and think your old computer will work with new hardware. It wont. If you have stuff you want to keep (files, movies etc.) put them on a CD or a flash drive or something and then wipe your hardrive. I had problems even installing windows on a new HD then connecting my new ones.

I realized I did alot of things wrong that I wouldnt do again. But hopefully some of this will help those of you working on your new comp too. Btw for the 10 mins My comp was working b4 i started getting the blue screen of death I was able to run WoW maxed settings 70fps in org at 4pm and mouse drag the look window without a hitch. Then dead haha.

p.s. my comp is still out of commision atm still workin on it but can someone post vent info or send me an email so i can log on when i get it running?

Veteran Poster

HAHA it works now Happy.

Well I finally got my comp running. Its sweet. Im still running vista but at least my vista is cooperating now. Good times rand a 3d mark and averaged 30 fps. But not really experience w/ 3d mark so I dont know how that averages but its a much needed upgrade. Happy recomend to all who are willing to put down the money and time.

Veteran Poster

about how much did it coust you for everything?
Purple Storm
Draecon
Warlord
Jedi Librarian

noob get on vent so i can hear you tell me the story

Soulstripper
Proven
Veteran Poster

i need some vent info my vent info was reset.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: